Azurite is one of two basic copper(II) carbonate minerals, the other being bright green malachite. Simple copper carbonate (CuCO3) is not known to exist in nature. Azurite has the formula Cu3(CO3)2(OH)2, with the copper(II) cations linked to two different anions, carbonate and hydroxide. Small crystals of azurite can be produced by rapidly stirring a few drops of copper sulfate solution into a saturated solution of sodium carbonate and allowing the solution to stand overnight. Chemical structure of azurite (color code: red = O, green = Cu, gray = C, white = H).
Azurite crystals are monoclinic. Large crystals are dark blue, often prismatic. Azurite specimens can be massive to nodular. They are often stalactitic in form. Specimens tend to lighten in color over time due to weathering of the specimen surface into malachite. Azurite is soft, with a Mohs hardness of only 3.5 to 4. The specific gravity of azurite is 3.77 to 3.89. Azurite is destroyed by heat, losing carbon dioxide and water to form black, copper(II) oxide powder. Characteristic of a carbonate, specimens effervesce upon treatment with hydrochloric acid.
Malachite is a copper carbonate hydroxide mineral, with the formula Cu2CO3 (OH)2. This opaque, green-banded mineral crystallizes in the monoclinic crystal system, and most often forms botryoidal, fibrous, or stalagmitic masses, in fractures and deep, underground spaces, where the water table and hydrothermal fluids provide the means for chemical precipitation. Individual crystals are rare, but occur as slender to acicular prisms. Pseudomorphs after more tabular or blocky azurite crystals also occur. [en.wikipedia.org]
- This calming stone helps reduce anger and promotes wisdom.
- Provides the possessor with stability and a sense of reduced anxiety.
- Helps instill discipline to the holder of this stone.
- It is a energetic stone that balances; it symbolizes the green of the Earth and the blue of the sky.
- Gives one a more balanced overall psychological state of mind.
- This stone provides serenity, integration, better sleep, and an improved overall health.
- Assists in removing mental blockages and increases intuition.
- Gives one an improved viewpoint on life as it helps foster positive thoughts.
- Is very effective in healing physical and mental trauma.
- Aids in balancing and getting one to a better sense of self.
- It promotes humility and individuality.
- It is known to strengthen emotional energy.
- It was believed to help with spiritual communication dating as far back to ancient Egypt.
- Is widely believed to increase psychic perception and spiritual understanding.
- This stone has been revered for its use in clairvoyance and astral projection.
- Is known to help regulate blood-oxygen levels in the body.
- It has been very useful with bone and muscle injuries.
- It has been used to assist with the pain of rheumatoid arthritis and other rheumatic disorders.
- This stone has been known to help in the treatment of diseases; common ones include diabetes, skin disorders, muscular dystrophy, hypoglycemia, radiation illnesses, and cirrhosis of the liver.
- Associated with the Heart and Solar Plexus Chakras.
- It will help in one's journey to unlock the third eye.
- It has been thought to help curtail irregular cell growth.
- Helps in the repair of damaged brain cells.
Historical Figures Who Used Fluorite
- Pliny the Elder.
- Isis, Egyptian Goddess of Life.
- Persephone, Greek Goddess of Spring.
- Hathor, Egyptian Goddess of Fertility and Joy.
- King Solomon.