The mineral aggregate heliotrope (from Greek ἥλιος, hḗlios “Sun”, τρέπειν, trépein “to turn”), also known as bloodstone, is a cryptocrystalline mixture of quartz that occurs mostly as jasper (opaque) or sometimes as chalcedony (translucent). The "classic" bloodstone is opaque green jasper with red inclusions of hematite.
The red inclusions are supposed to resemble spots of blood, hence the name bloodstone. The name heliotrope derives from various ancient notions about the manner in which the mineral reflects light. These are described, e.g., by Pliny the Elder (Nat. Hist. 37.165).
- This stone provides strength for a multitude of things; especially for getting accustomed to new surroundings. The strength comes from the stone's ability to achieve grounding to the fullest.
- It rejuvenates the mind and the body providing mental clarity and physical wellbeing.
- Bloodstone aids in personal growth and in developing new proficiencies.
- It is proven to stanch bleeding when placed on wounds after being put in cold water.
- It helps one regain personal power and boost self-esteem.
- This stone revitalizes the possessor during sleep and stimulates dreaming.
- The holder of this stone is blessed with peace and serenity.
- Bloodstone assists one in bolstering courage and strengthening the mind.
- It works with one to help overcome depression and emotionally caused pain.
- This stone improves vitality and promotes reproduction and creativity.
- It helps in times of intense struggle, especially in dealing with death.
- The Greeks and Romans wore bloodstone to gain endurance during athletic undertakings and to secure favor of the upper class and elites.
- This mystical stone has been revered as a magical talisman as far back as ancient cultures before the Middle Ages.
- This stone offers the possessor protection mentally and physically while giving one a stronger sense of courage.
- It is known as the "Sun Stone" or "Blood Stone" and has been used as a detoxifying and healing stone for centuries.
- Bloodstone was believed to treat and prevent many diseases and cure a multitude of life-threatening conditions.
- It was widely believed to bring the holder fame and fortune while also ushering respect from others.
- This stone has a strong connection to the Heart Chakra and the Root (Base) Chakra.
- It has been highly regarded to help one gain access to the spiritual dimension.
- Bloodstone is associated with the snake bearer constellation Ophiuchus as well as Aries and Pisces.
Historical Figures Who Used Bloodstone
- Pliny the Elder.
- Jesus Christ.
- Peter the apostle.
- Gaia, the Greek Earth Mother Goddess.
- Brigit, the Irish Goddess of Fertility.
- Chirakan-Ixmucane, the Mayan Goddess of Creation.
- Dione, the Phoenician Goddess of Earth.
- Damigeron, Roman magician.
- Bernardino de Sahagun, Franciscan friar.