Bronzite is a member of the pyroxene group of minerals, belonging with enstatite and hypersthene to the orthorhombic series of the group. Rather than a distinct species, it is really a ferriferous variety of enstatite, which owing to partial alteration has acquired a bronze-like sub-metallic luster on the cleavage surfaces.
Enstatite is magnesium silicate, MgSiO3, with the magnesium partly replaced by small amounts (up to about 12%) of Fe+2. In the bronzite variety, (Mg,Fe)SiO3, the iron(II) oxide ranges from about 12 to 30%, and with still more iron there is a passage to hypersthene. The ferriferous varieties are liable to a particular kind of alteration, known as schillerization, which results in the separation of the iron as very fine films of oxide and hydroxides along the cleavage cracks of the mineral. The cleavage surfaces therefore exhibit a metallic sheen or schiller, which is even more pronounced in hypersthene than in bronzite. The color of bronzite is green or brown; its specific gravity is about 3.3–3.4, varying with the amount of iron present. The refractive indices and optic angle increase with iron content. The enstatite endmember has a positive optic sign, whereas bronzite and hypersthene both show a negative optic sign.
Like enstatite, bronzite is a constituent of many mafic to ultramafic igneous rocks, such as, norite, gabbro, and especially peridotite, and of the serpentinites which have been derived from them. It also occurs in some crystalline schist. Bronzitite, a pyroxenite of bronzite composition, is noted in the cumulate rocks of the Stillwater igneous complex of Montana.
- Bronzite alleviates the physical state while inspiring the mental.
- It is a stone that emanates forgiveness and compassion.
- This stone is known to help with the treatment of cysts and skin disorders such as rashes, pimples, eczema.
- It helps eliminate fear, worry, and doubt.
- This crystal helps rid one of stress and helps in eliminating self imposed limitations.
- The possessor of this crystal will have a more loving experience and will have a more unprejudiced judgment of things.
- It is a grounding stone that is useful for conquering anxiety while promoting creative thinking.
- This rock is a harmonizing talisman that dispels negativity.
- It promotes courtesy and strengthens the determination of one's character.
- This stone revitalizes one's tranquility while creating a calling to one to seek wisdom.
- It will aid one in the discovery of hidden skills and talents while encouraging one to overcome challenges.
- Bronzite is an action stone that is helpful in making one more confident and comfortable in their decisions.
- It is a good stone for the promotion of happiness, success, and power.
- This stone is the embodiment of enthusiasm, passion, and emotion.
- Bronzite is said to bring the body into perfect pH balance, which is helpful in the treatment of many diseases and ailments.
- This crystal cleanses and refocuses the holders energy pathways creating a more well-rounded spiritual state.
- It is believed to help with skin conditions and premature aging.
- It is great for meditation; Bronzite aids in keeping one more focused while practicing.
- This stone is said to be extremely effective for the owner in fending off curses, the ominous, and hateful wishes.
- aids psychic protection
- Bronzite is known to cleanse and disinfect the blood while stimulating and reinvigorating the nerves.
- This stone is quite useful when working with the Chakras; it is particularly in tune with the Root Chakra, the Solar Plexus Chakra, and the Sacral Chakra.
- It will help one connect with their Spirit Guides and improve the likeliness of out of body experiences.
Historical Figures Who Used Bronzite
- Pliny the Elder.
- Walter A. Wahl.