Citrine is a variety of quartz whose color ranges from a pale yellow to brown due to ferric impurities. Natural citrines are rare; most commercial citrines are heat-treated amethysts or smoky quartzes. However, a heat-treated amethyst will have small lines in the crystal, as opposed to a natural citrine's cloudy or smokey appearance. It is nearly impossible to differentiate between cut citrine and yellow topaz visually, but they differ in hardness. Brazil is the leading producer of citrine, with much of its production coming from the state of Rio Grande do Sul. The name is derived from the Latin word citrina which means "yellow" and is also the origin of the word "citron". Sometimes citrine and amethyst can be found together in the same crystal, which is then referred to as ametrine. Citrine has been referred to as the "merchant's stone" or "money stone", due to a superstition that it would bring prosperity.
Citrine was first appreciated as a golden-yellow gemstone in Greece between 300 and 150 BC, during the Hellenistic Age. The yellow quartz was used prior to that to decorate jewelry and tools but it was not highly sought after.
- Citrine embodies the energies of confidence and security.
- It helps one adapt and adjust to the inevitable changes in life and become more open to new experiences.
- Abundance, confidence, courage, and prosperity is granted to the possessor of this stone.
- This fortifying crystal assists the owner with manifestation and it strengthens personal willpower.
- This stone helps one become more courageous in all endeavors.
- It radiates the power of cohesiveness, concentration, and wisdom.
- Citrine brings positive energy to it's owner and encourages one to be more generous.
- This crystal diminishes anxiety and fear.
- It dissipates negative energy while increasing the possessor's self-esteem.
- One's imagination and intuition are heightened as a result of using Citrine.
- It is a great tool for breaking bad habits and addictions; it also helps quell self destructive behavior.
- This transforming crystal gives one an elevated level of mental clarity.
- It is a great aid for cleansing oneself of emotional grief and remaining more centered.
- This dynamic crystal helps in making one more creative and to be able to visualize good things.
- It is a very powerful stone that doesn't need to be cleansed and cleared of negative energy.
- Citrine is known as the "Merchant's Stone" and as the "Success Stone"; it is said to bring wealth and prosperity especially in business and commerce.
- It has been used as a protection amulet to ward away evil thoughts and battle diseases such as the plague as far back as Medieval Times.
- This crystal has been known to be an effective protective shield against envy, jealousy, and contempt.
- It has been proven effective in the treatment of infections, especially of the bladder, liver, and kidneys.
- Citrine stimulates the Crown Chakra and transfers energy to the Sacral Chakra and the Solar Plexus.
- This stone has been used to cultivate creative energy into the physical body.
- It is a great crystal to use for meditation for it helps one's mind become silent in order to embrace inner thought.
- Citrine is believed to improve the condition of the heart and the health of the muscles.
Historical Figures Who Used Citrine
- Pliny the Elder.
- Demeter, Greek Goddess of Wealth and Abundance.
- Persephone, Greek Goddess of Rebirth.
- Sekhmet, Egyptian Goddess of War.