Smoky quartz is a brownish grey, translucent variety of quartz that ranges in clarity from almost complete transparency to an almost-opaque brownish-gray or black crystal. Like other quartz gems, it is a silicon dioxide crystal. The smoky colour results from free silicon formed from the silicon dioxide by natural irradiation.
Morion is a very dark brown to black opaque variety. Morion is the German, Danish, Spanish and Polish synonym for smoky quartz. The name is from a misreading of mormorion in Pliny the Elder. It has a density of 5.4.
Cairngorm is a variety of smoky quartz found in the Cairngorm Mountains of Scotland. It usually has a smoky yellow-brown colour, though some specimens are greyish-brown. It is used in Scottish jewellery and as a decoration on kilt pins and the handles of sgianan-dubha (anglicised: sgian-dubhs or skean dhu). The largest known cairngorm crystal is a 23.6 kg (52 lb) specimen kept at Braemar Castle.
Smoky quartz is common and was not historically important, but in recent times it has become a popular gemstone, especially for jewellery.
Sunglasses, in the form of flat panes of smoky quartz, were used in China in the 12th century. [en.wikipedia.org]
- Smoky quartz is a powerful grounding stone.
- It aids one emotionally and helps put one in a better mental state.
- This stone helps quell negativity and cleanse the soul.
- It promotes calmness and centering to the holder of this precious stone.
- This citrine provides as a great assistant to relieve depression; known as the 'stone of serenity'.
- It provides one with a stronger sense of cooperation and working with others.
- Helps one feel more structured and gives one a clearer view of their needs and wants.
- This stone helps ward off anxiety and is a perfect stone to hold to aid in panic attacks.
- It is a great stone for detoxification on many different levels as it filters out bad energy and negative moods.
- Gives one a clearer view of organization and rational thought processes.
- This stone is the embodiment of the Root (Base) Chakra and Mother Earth.
- Ancient cultures used it in tribal functions and shamanistic practices.
- It has been believed that it protects one from emotional stress and transforms negative energy into neutral energy.
- This stone is believed to help the liver and kidneys with their detoxifying abilities.
- It has been known to provide the owner with survival instincts.
- The possessor of this stone benefits from it's protecting powers and it's ability to ground the physical and spiritual aspects of oneself.
- According to folklore, this stone helps wishes come true.
- Smoky quartz is known to bring prosperity, abundance, and good luck.
- Is a perfect stone for metaphysical work especially spiritual healing and clairvoyance.
- This crystal is used to achieve deep states of meditation and contacting the worlds of the higher realms.
- It absorbs negativity associated with electronics and power generators.
- It embodies wood energy thus ushers in expansion and growth.
- This stone has been used to help one achieve communication with their guardian angel.
Historical Figures Who Used Smoky Citrine
- Queen Victoria.
- Dr. John Dee.
- Sir Edward Kelley.
- Gaia, Greek Earth Mother Goddess.
- Pliny the Elder.
- King James IV.
- Alexander VI.
- Hecate, Thracian Goddess of Wisdom.
- J.S. Dana.
- Crom Dubh, God of the Harvest.