Moonstone is a sodium potassium aluminium silicate ((Na,K)AlSi3O8) of the feldspar group that displays a pearly and opalescent schiller. An alternative name is hecatolite. Its name is derived from a visual effect, sheen or schiller (adularescence), caused by light diffraction within a micro-structure consisting of regular exsolution layers (lamellae) of different alkali feldspars (orthoclase and sodium-rich plagioclase).
The most common moonstone is of the orthoclase feldspar mineral adularia, named for an early mining site near Mt. Adular in Switzerland, now the town of St. Gotthard. Solid solution of the plagioclase feldspar oligoclase +/- the potassium feldspar orthoclase also produces moonstone specimens.
- Moonstone is a calming stone that resonates love and helps one use their intuition on a higher level.
- Good fortune and protection are bestowed upon the possessor of this mystical stone.
- It is a stone of positive energy that encourages hope and inspiration to it's owner.
- This magical stone enhances one's personality and increases one's sense of empathy.
- It is a stone of stability that will calm one's emotions.
- Moonstone will give it's possessor a heightened sense of composure and balance.
- It will relax one's psyche and help reduce the worrying mind.
- This regenerative stone brings one integration and attunes them to the greater good.
- Moonstone aids in mitigating stress and anxiety.
- Moonstone has been revered throughout history as a protective amulet for travelers, especially at night; seafarers have used it for safe travels over water since ancient times.
- This stone of wisdom has been used to predict future events since the Middle Ages.
- It is said that if a couple wears Moonstone jewelry while making love during a full moon, the chances of pregnancy increase considerably.
- Moonstone has been known to assist with a better night's sleep and give it's possessor lucid and distinct dreams.
- It is told that this stone aids in weight loss and emotional health; it also assists with issues related to overall feminine health.
- This stone is associated with the Crown, the Heart, and the Third Eye Chakras.
- Moonstone is said to heighten psychic abilities.
- It has been believed that this stone helps farmers produce more abundant crops.
- This stone is known to have an abundance of healing properties ranging from curing headaches to protecting one from epileptic seizures.
- It is told that this stone will help one be more in tune with nature.
Historical Figures Who Used Moonstone
- René Lalique, French Goldsmith.
- The High Priestess.
- Ceridwen, Welsh Goddess of Wisdom and Light.
- Chandra Shekara, India's God of the Moon.
- Diana, Roman Goddess of the Moon and Sky.
- Hanwi, Sioux (Lakota) Goddess of the Moon Spirit.
- Nyx, Greek Goddess of the Night.
- Selene, Greek Goddess of the Moon.