Onyx primarily refers to the parallel banded variety of the silicate mineral chalcedony. Agate and onyx are both varieties of layered chalcedony that differ only in the form of the bands: agate has curved bands and onyx has parallel bands. The colors of its bands range from black to almost every color. Commonly, specimens of onyx contain bands of black and/or white. Onyx, as a descriptive term, has also been applied to parallel banded varieties of alabaster, marble, obsidian and opal, and misleadingly to materials with contorted banding, such as "Cave Onyx" and "Mexican Onyx".
Onyx is formed of bands of chalcedony in alternating colors. It is cryptocrystalline, consisting of fine intergrowths of the silica minerals quartz and moganite. Its bands are parallel to one another, as opposed to the more chaotic banding that often occurs in agates. [en.wikipedia.org]
- Onyx assists in strengthening intuition and in making more positive decisions.
- This stone creates a soothing and calming emotional influence for it's possessor.
- It provides the owner a heightened sense of balance, clarity, empathy, and harmony.
- This grounding stone helps one with inspiration, the realization of a raised consciousness, and revelation.
- Assists in releasing past and present emotional energies.
- It has been known to help balance male and female energies.
- This stone strengthens one's physical and emotional stamina and endurance.
- It has been widely used for ceremonies, burials, and accents to art and craftsmanship.
- Onyx was described as a precious stone in the Bible; it was represented as an element of creation in Genesis.
- It has been called the gemstone of Saturn in a spiritual sense and is therefore a ruler of universal Karma.
- This stone was feared in some ancient cultures as it was believed to be a stone of bad luck.
- It's so called negative power has been harnessed by metaphysical and spiritual practitioners, transforming it into affirmative energy.
- A long established Persian belief is that it assists in preventing epileptic seizures.
- This stone has been known to bring in happiness and foster rebirth.
- Associated with the Root (Base) Chakra; it activates the Crown Chakra.
- It's possessor will find it beneficial for the heart and nervous system.
- It returns whatever type of energy one puts into it; positive or negative.
- Onyx has been used to access one's Akashic records.
- It has been known to upgrade the condition of one's eyes, hair, and kidneys.
- It is very effective in meditation, especially with grounding and centering.
Historical Figures Who Used Onyx
- Themis, Greek Goddess of Justice.
- High Priest of Israel.
- Cybele, Roman Earth Mother Goddess.
- Pliny the Elder.
- Hecate, Thracian Goddess of Wisdom.
- Konrad Von Hamburg.
- Ferdinand Preiss, German Art Deco sculptor.
- Rabanus Maurus, the Archbishop of Mainz.